Sunday, February 13, 2011

My house or my home...

I was having company over last night...people I'd not met yet.  I wanted everything to be perfect...who doesn't when it comes to certain things?  I began to look at my house through a newcomer's perspective and could easily see it was definitely lacking.  Old sofa covers, stained carpet, walls that are more like murals and a general lack of niceties.  My sweet hubby was helping me catch up on some cleaning so that my day wouldn't be too difficult.  We were talking about the state of the house and I opened up about my insecurity in my house's appearance.  I hate thinking about having people over b/c of the way my house looks, and said as much.  I'd love to have all the nice little trinkets and matching furniture and spotless, spacious rooms.  And as I knelt down cleaning up my little snowman table (yes, we still have our Christmas decorations up...) it occurred to me and I voiced aloud, "You know babe, I would rather them come and leave feeling that maybe it wasn't the fanciest of houses, but that it was a warm home."  And you know what?  They did.  They said it themselves and that was the highlight of my night.  I want a home...not a fancy house with only nice things at the expense of joy, love, peace, laughter and fond memories.  I still look forward to having those nice things, but I definitely feel more at ease in having friends come and enjoy what we have to offer in our home.  Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment