Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yummy Squash Soup and Simple Greek Style Salad

I made an amazingly simple and delicious soup last night...thanks mom for your idea!

I had a huge butternut and acorn squash so I only used half of each. So if you have small ones then just use the whole thing. 

Using a sharp knife, cut squashes in chunks and scoop out any seeds (and use a spoon to get all the stringy bits out) and steam until soft.  While still hot, scoop out the meat of the squash and place into your mixer (I wear gloves when I have them but last night I just held each chunk with a clean dish cloth while scooping the insides out.)  Add 3-4 Tbs  of butter (unpasteurized is ideal) and then add a llittle of the hot water used for steaming (about 1/4 cup) and then add 1/2 cup of milk.  Mix and then slowly add more milk until you reach the desired consistency. Add garlic salt (or salt and freshly fround garlic) to taste and pepper to taste.  Voila!  All done..super easy and super tasty!  Perfect for the chilly nights!

While my squash was steaming, I peeled 2 cucumber and seeded it then cut them into thin 1 inch chunks.  I cut up 2 roma tomatoes (you can use more...I only had 4 and wanted to save some for today), one avocado (again, feel free to add more - my other ones weren't ripened so I only used one), onion (optional as cut or as dried onion flakes - I opted for dried since the kids aren't fully onion-people yet), and feta (the chunk is cheaper and you have to crumble it - so it's a bit more messy, but no biggie).  I added kalamata olives (mine had seeds I took them out and cut the olives in slices).  Sprinkle juice from one half lemon (of course, if you have opted to increase the amounts of veggies, you should probably juice a whole lemon) and then sprinkle garlic salt (I use that a lot!), some pepper, and olive oil.  Stir until coated.  Oh, my!  Amazing!  I could've eaten the whole bowl!

It was a delicious meal...my hubby is a meat guy so I did make a huge meat patty (ideal is grass-fed beef) and I seasoned with, you guessed it, garlic salt, sage and pepper.

Hope you try it, it's so yummy and best of all - easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment