Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chocolate and Peppermint Shakes

There's something about winter that makes me want minty things...and even though we aren't technically in winter, the minty excitement has begun.  Last night the kids and I made Thin Mints.  Oh, what fond memories I have of those small round chocolate cookies bursting with minty-wonderfulness.  Those were my number one choice when those little Girl Scouts made their way around to our home.  Well, I happened to find a recipe for them - completely unmeditated, I assure you - so it must've been fate that I came across it.  They turned out abosolutely delicious!  Tonight, the kids are sipping on our own homemade Chocolate and Peppermint Shake...I had a sip and it was mintastic!  ;)  Super easy, too! 
Here's the minty how to:

P.S.  The organic sugar that I mentioned, that is NOT the good kind (even though it says organic - they can do a lot of stuff to foods and still put the organic label on them) is the Florida Crystals along with anything that says RAW, Turbinado, whatever...one of the kinds that would be best to use is Rapadura.  (The info I got on sweeteners - which to use and which to avoid - comes form Sally Fallon's book and you can find it at :http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1  or if you want to look through it without purchasing, you can find it at the library).

6 comments:

  1. Hey Liza the recipe is missing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured the video would be enough...but I realize I should have written it out too to make it easier for people. Thanks for pointing it out! I'll post it later today...gotta get ready for church! :) Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...so here it is...remember, I eyeball a lot of it so you can tailor it to your tastes. :)

    Mix 1/2 cup milk and 1 tsp cocoa and 1 tsp sugar. Blend well. Add 2 cups milk, and 1/4 tsp of Peppermint Flavor and 1-2 frozen bananas (remember to cut them in small chunks before you freeze them so it makes it easier for your mixer to break it down). Make it as thick as you like by adding more frozen bananas. Taste test to determine whether or not you need more sugar or peppermint flavor...Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this my sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa I love how baby Marc is so use to you doing everything with him in the sling. He was just like, "don't forget this mommy we used it last time" lol...too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe...I know...I love it too! The sling is the one thing I think EVERY mom should have! :)

    ReplyDelete