Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"The Moment-Misser"

My husband just called me a moment misser...it was supposed to be more of a tease, but when I thought about it, I realized that I do miss many opportunities for a "moment".  We went to the pumpkin patch after church this past Sunday.  I had come up with an idea for a great family day but I had so played it up in my mind's eye, that when, of course, it did not go as envisioned, I had a rough time getting over my failed plan and the frustration that accompanied it. 

I was so looking forward to taking some vivid photos.  I had seen so many kid's photos taken during their pumpkin patch experiences and I was sure that I too would be among the many mom's deliriously happy with their latest candid shots.  The kids were all dressed up: the boys had on their new white shorts and Kezi had her new glittery shoes (Target clearance find - I love a sweet deal!).  All day I pictured the great fun it would be, the wonderful family moment that would be remembered through the ages...alas, it was not so.  From bees, to muddied bums, the wonderful outing turned ominous from the moment we started our picnic, that Antony insisted we eat in the car.  Not a great idea when mustard is a part of your picnic fare.  The mustard soon became part of the the baby's attire and the car's carpeting (what was I thinking to bring mustard!?!).  I decided to stay behind to feed Marc Alec while the others went out to start the fun-filled afternoon (except Jonathon who had been plagued by ants).  When I got the phone call from Antony, not 5 minutes later, that Luke's white pants were already soiled with dirt and taht Kezi's shoes no longer looked new, I knew things were starting to go downhill.  So I called him to find out where they were but we couldn't find each other...by this time I could sense major tension in both of our voices.  Finally, we hooked up and got on the hayride and after being attacked by bees, we set off.  Okay, things didn't look good up to this point, but that's okay, I was set that we could definitely fit in a sweet, we-are-such-a-happy-family picture.  I left my camera in the car b/c Antony said we could just use his IPhone for pics...but when he realized I wanted the nice couple sitting across from us to actually hold and touch the beloved thing to get a family photo, my idea was quickly shot down.  How could I have been so daft...it's no question they would've jumped out of the hayride, with their kids in tow, to steal it (when they probably had their own).  Well, his response finished it for me.  I wanted those family pics SO bad and not getting the exact replica of what I had foreseen in my mind for our outing, tipped me over the edge.   I was done...and although I knew I should stop the ugly part of me from taking over and becoming The Moment-Misser, I chose the wrong path (as I tell the kids so often NOT to choose).    Oh yes...I ignored him that whole hay ride.  So mature, so loving, I know.  And the funny thing was that at one point he even said, "What, you aren't going to talk to me the whole day?  Oh yes, I see, everything hasn't gone EXACTLY as Lisa pictured in her mind and so now you're upset and it's going to be a miserable rest of the day."  Of course, he hit the nail on the head and it hurt - I didn't like it.  Thankfully, I got my act together - after the hayride (and we did sneak in a couple of pics - albeit, not a full family one).  But I realize, how many moments I miss b/c things don't quite turn out exactly as I picture.  Instead of rolling with the punches, making the most of a situation gone awry, I tend to whine about what hasn't gone acccording to my plan and then I just miss the moment for a special memory and I pretty much ruin it for everyone.  So, I am determined.  I will not be a moment misser!  I will enjoy the moments during the day.  I'll take the time to stop and listen and be a part of something my kids want to tell me or show me, even if I'm in the middle of something.  Days are filled with so many of these special moments and each one holds the open door to inspire me, challenge me, teach me, or give me a precious treasure that if ignored, is so quickly swept away.  Let's embrace every moment - they will more than likely turn out even better than we planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment