Saturday, October 2, 2010

How "NOT" to make Friends

Antony asked the kids if they wanted to join him at the gym the other day.  Luke, my second born (almost 5 year old) usually doesn't want to play at the kids area there but this time quickly assented to go.  I was a bit surprised and told him so and he so sweetly said that he wanted to go so that I could have some alone time.  He said it was Mother's Day and he wanted me to have fun on "Mother's Day".  It was so sweet - one of those melt your heart moments.  I enjoyed my time alone, although I did have the baby with me and although I did spend the time cleaning....but I did get to talk to my sis-in-law which I don't get the chance to do often.  It was nice.  So they all got back home and Luke asked me if I'd had a nice time and I replied in the affirmative and I asked him in return if he had fun and he replied, "No.  I had to sit down."  I asked, "Why did the teacher have you sit?  What did you do?"  Of course, the little ears on his big brother were in the other room but picked up the signal that something was brewing and he replied for Luke, "He was spitting on the girls!"  Ohhhhh.....ugghhhhhh....the same "I don't understand why you do this!" feeling I get when Luke misbehaves. You know, when you want to yell and cry and shake them and say "WHY?!"  But I quickly composed myself, although I may have rolled my eyes with a little "Oh, Luke..." remark...I don't recall...but hopefully I didn't, though I don't give myself that much credit. ;)  So, I proceeded to explain, for what felt like the millionth time, that to make friends we don't do things like that.  Daddy came in and did a little drama with two scenarios -in the first, he pretended to be a boy that spit on Luke and in the other he introduced himself as a little boy wanting to be friends and wanting to play together and asked Luke which was the best way to make friends.  It put a smile on everyone's face.  But I still left the situation thinking, WHEN is this going to kick in?!  Just the day before we were at the park and he called one of the older girls a name...the problem seems to be with older girls - he wants their attention and them to like him so he does stuff - usually not "nice" stuff - so he can get their attention.  Negative attention is still attention, unfortunately.

But this is one of those things that weighs on me as a mom.  The weight that follows me whenever we go out - at any get-together, play group, church service, etc...  The weight that sends the unrelenting thoughts.  The thoughts that seem to take residence in the back of my mind, never allowing me to fully settle.  Never allowing me to fully enjoy and relax b/c deep down that weight is always whispering at me, getting me to focus on it.  What weight is holding on to you?  Mine may seem trivial, but to me, it's real.  It's something big for me b/c it has to do with my son and his growth.  Yours may be financial, marital, relational, spiritual, emotional.  And we have different ones.  This is my Mom-ital weight.  I'm sure I have others.  But it's taking the time to dig deep and see that we have them.  Seeking out their hiding places.  If we don't find them and then mentally and even verbally recognize that they are trespassing, we are living in deception - not really wanting to deal with the elephant in the room.  But it is there, and until we can see it rationally - for what it really is -  then we will be unable to deal with it spiritually.

I've been reading a book by Dr. Spencer Johnson called, Peaks and Valleys.  (I would encourage everyone to read this and also his book "Who Moved My Cheese?" - read that one first -you can find them at your public library).  And basically he says that life is filled with peaks and valleys.  We all know that b/c we all experience them.  But he talks about how to make your peaks last longer and your valleys shorter.  And one thing is to look at your situation rationally.  Not allowing yourself to see it for more than it is.  If we are in a valley and we magnify it to the point where we can't let ourselves see the truth of the situation, see that it is truly there, we'll be stuck in that valley for a long time.  But if you face the weight, see it for what it is, and what it wants to do in you (stop you from moving forward) then you can identify the steps you need to take to let yourself loose from it's grip.  Also, if you are at a peak, you may see it for more than it is by not facing the little things that would want to take you down from that peak prematurely.  You may be so pie in the sky, everything is going dandy, that you miss pinpointing the little things that will cause you to return to a valley sooner than needed.  It's about constantly checking ourselves.  We have to look and ask the Holy Spirit to show us the little things that are holding us back from being all that He has for us to be.

I could allow myself to talk about my Mom-ital issue like it's never going to change and like it's hopeless.  But instead, I see it for what it is.  I see the truth.  I am in a season.  It's training time and I will not give up.  It's going to take time to see Luke develop into who God has him to be...look at me!  I'm still being worked on!  He's come a long way and he will fail - but he'll be failing forward.  Each mess-up is an opportunity to develop his make-up...I see the reality of the situation so that then I can let my faith work to see that reality change.

Take time to ask yourself the hard questions.  What am I fearing?  What is holding me back?  What is stopping me from moving forward?  Find it, verbalize it, then let God show you how to deal with it so that you can keep moving on up!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa for sharing your heart I really enjoyed and could relate it and apply it to my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad. That means a lot to me...and that's what I want out of this...to see things in myself and grow from it and hope that it will be something useful to someone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of the "Who Moved My Cheese?" book through a company training session but it was all related to the natural inclination that we have as humans to resist and/or dislike change. I think to seek change from the Holy Spirit means that you first have to come out of a cloud of denial and be truthful that something is not quite right either in your life, your heart, your family, your walk with God, somewhere be real and transparent before God and others. As a Christian one thing I struggle with is this face we put on frequently,the stories we tell that always turn out happy, where everyone always ends up doing the right thing but the Bible is filled with examples of real life people struggling, failing but still succeeding through the grace and compassion of God. Only God can really determine just how long our valley or peak will last, yes we can do our part through prayer and staying in God's word but ultimately He has the final say so. The book of Job shows us this. The great thing is having a true valley experience trains you for when you may sojourn there again and there will be quite a few trips if you plan to mature in Christ. We also cherish the peak moments when we're there because we can recollect how God was with us in the valley not just because we're out but because HE was WITH US through it....How wonderful HE IS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, much of what you said was a great re-wording of what I was thinking and trying to bring across. I'm totally with you that we must get out of denial and be truthful that something is not right and be transparent...right on! I agree that it's only by God's grace that we can move forward and I fully agree that we'll experience many valleys and peaks in life and that the peaks are great but that valleys are necessary for our growth and that we can see God work in us and mold us and grow us through each valley. I don't agree with our peak moments and valley moments being fully dependent on God - he is not responsible for what choices I make and when I choose to make them and in the end it's my choices that keep me where I am. I do believe he is there every second of the way offering us the wisdom and guidance we need to move through that valley but whether or not I CHOOSE to take it and act on it will determine whether I ever move out of the valley. Of course I want to think the best of myself that I would act immediately on His direction but I mess up, plain and simple, I'm not perfect and I mess up a lot...so if it truly were fully up to God on how long I stay in a valley or on a peak then it would take the responsibility off me and my own choices and actions. He's given us the choice. God is not using the story to tell us how we should be like Job. What can we learn about Job and NOT do...what if he would have seen his fear sooner and dealt with it? Or humbled himself sooner? And thank God he gave us Jesus to pay the price for every time I have and will miss the mark. I'm glad he paid the debt I owed so that Icould be MADE righteous and that God has finished the work on the cross - that healing and wholeness in every part of my life has been paid for and is now offered to me with my choice to receive it by faith. But I'm getting excited and digressing... We have the choices set before us from the first moment of our valley...the more right choices I make as I start my journey through each valley the quicker I'll come out of it, the more decisions made that don't lead to life, the more denial, or whining about the situation then I've only set myself back and the longer I'll keep myself there. I believe that when I am building my relationship with God and listening to Him and obeying Him that although I will make mistakes and fail, b/c I know I will, His grace is there working in me b/c of what Jesus paid for on the cross and He will work out things for my good b/c He loves me and I'm called according to His purpose. A book that has really stirred me and corrected a lot of old belief systems is Living in the Balance of Grace and Faith by Andrew Wommack. It's really great! I would encourage every believer to read it. Lastly, allow me to say, I also totally agree with you on the fact that He truly IS wonderful! :)

    P.S. What I was conveying was my lesson learned from just one of the points from the book Peaks and Valleys. I mentioned Who Moved My Cheese b/c I had read that one too but haven't written out my thoughts on that one yet. That one is a good one too...has helped me and my husband see things differently. The point he made in Peaks and Valleys is this: "Avoid believing things are better than they really are when you are on a peak, or worse than they really are when you are in a valley. Make reality your friend." This was great for me b/c it helped remind me that the situation I was facing is not as bad as I "felt"...I needed a fresh perspective - God's is always best b/c it's truth. So now I can see is truth in the middle of my situation. I don't need to feel hopeless that things will never change but I can put my faith to what is reality and then see that reality transform into the truth. Thanks for Posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. * Oops...it's supposed to say "I can see HIS truth in the middle of my situation."

    ReplyDelete