Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Un-Sausage and Potato Soup

Another reason to love winter:  Soup!  I am a big soup gal.  I don't have many soup recipes that I feel I have mastered, but this is the one that I really KNOW how to do and it comes out delicioso!  

Here's what you'll need:

4 cups Chicken Broth (preferably homemade)
2 cups milk
2 tbs butter or 2 tbs beef grease
2 tbs wheat flour
coconut oil
Ground beef - 1/2 pound (preferably grass-fed)
2 large potatoes or 3 medium-sized
1/2 onion
1 head broccoli
dried sage to taste
dried dill (optional) to taste
garlic salt to taste
salt and pepper to taste

As with all recipes, I like to make mine fit our tastes...season until you find it just right, add more or less potato,beef or broccoli...totally up to you.  If you like more broth just do more of the milk mixture.

I don't know all the cooking terms...so bear with me.  Cut up potatoes (cut it in cubes as big or small as you like - just remember the smaller they are the faster they cook and they may get mushy - but again, your preference).  Put them in soup pot with chicken broth and add salt and cook on medium.  While it is cooking,  dice onion (use the food processor if you have one) and saute on medium-low heat for at least 5 minutes.  Then brown your beef and season with garlic salt, sage and pepper.  I like to go heavy on the sage (it gives it a sausage flavor).  If you don't get much fat from the beef, add butter and flour and mix in then add milk and bring to a soft boil, stirring often.  Cut up the broccoli into florets and I don't like to waste the stalks so I cut them up in tiny bits for the extra nutrition and add it to the chicken broth/potato pot.  I like the broccoli to stay al dente so I don't let it stay in long before adding the milk mixture.  Add dried dill or keep it as is.  But taste it and see if you think it needs more sage. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment